We want everyone to be able to experience the freedom and the exhilaration of driving a high performance vehicle in a safe, comfortable and fun environment. We understand for a first timer, it may generate lots of questions about topics like rules, regulations, karts, equipment and parties . Below are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about Birmingham's Premier Accelerate Indoor Speedway and our services.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RESTRICTIONS
- Junior kart racers must be at least 48" tall and 8 years old
- Pro Kart racers must be at least 56" tall, at least 13 years old and less than 300 lbs
- All racers must also be able to wear a helmet (which we provide) and fit in the kart seat with the safety harness attached
- Closed toe shoes are required (we have loaners and fresh socks if you need them)
- Racers under 18 must be accompanied by the parent on their first visit or the child must bring a waiver signed by a parent or guardian
- Do not race if you have any medical conditions including seizures, or heart or back issues
- Consult your doctor if you are unsure if it is safe for you to race
INDOOR KARTING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Q: When are you open? What are your hours?
- A: We’re open seven days a week, 365 days a year (except major holidays or during private events). To see store hours, find your closest location.
- Q: Do I need reservations or can I just "Arrive & Drive"?
- A: No reservation necessary! If you are coming individually or in a small group, you can just Arrive & Drive on a first come, first serve basis. If you are planning to come with a group of eight or more, you can also book a group event. This will give you reserved track time and you will only race with the people in your group.
- Q: How fast are the karts?
- A: The karts at Accelerate Indoor Speedway are nothing like the sluggish, poorly maintained "go carts" you may have experienced in the past. Our high-performance electric Italian karts are the fastest in the industry. Each Pro Kart has a 20 horse power (hp) electric motor that reaches speeds up to 50MPH. Our junior karts reach speeds of up to 25MPH. z
- Q: How safe are the karts?
- A: Our pro-karts are highly engineered for safety. Each includes, self-ventilating disk brakes, even weight distribution to reduce tipping, four-point safety harness, roll bars and, because our karts are all-electric, there are no hot or dangerous mechanical parts accessible at any time.
- Q: Do I need to be an experienced kart racer to enjoy myself?
- A: Novices and professionals of all age levels can enjoy the thrill of pro-kart racing at Accelerate Indoor Speedway. Each racer will go through a short safety briefing on the karts and track rules. The briefing will give the meaning of each flag, safety signs and also how to operate the kart. You will naturally progress in your skills with each race and no matter what your skill level, our friendly staff is always available to help provide you the best possible experience.
- Q: What is the dress code?
- A: For safety you can not race with loose fitting clothing, open toed shoes, high heels, sandals or crocs. Long hair must be tucked inside clothing. A head sock and helmet are also required and will be provided to you for use while racing.
- Q: Can I wear my own helmet?
- A: Yes, you may wear your own helmet. The helmet must be full face with eye protection and be Department of Transportation (DOT) approved or greater. Your helmet will need to be inspected by our staff to insure the helmet meets the safety requirements.
- Q: Do I need a driver's license to race?
- A: No! However, we will require all drivers under the age of 18 have a parent or legal guardian sign the waiver.
- Q: What kind of corporate events do you typically have at your facility?
- A: At Accelerate Indoor Speedway, corporate event options are endless! Each location features high-tech private meeting rooms equipped with high-speed wireless internet, projection screens and everything you need to make your event a success. Plus, we work with the area’s best caterers to build a menu that best suits your group. Groups love our team-building exercises, and the memorable experience of competing safely on the track! Packages are available in multiple race formats and you can include items such as trophies, t-shirts and more to make the occasion extra special. For larger groups you can also rent our entire facility. To learn more, speak with a Sales Manager today.
- Q: How do I plan a party at Accelerate Indoor Speedway?
- A: Parties are easy and fun at Accelerate Indoor Speedway. Impress your guests by having your next event in the ultimate party place. Our party packages feature private races with your guests and reserved time slots available in multiple race formats. Include options like catering, trophies, t-shirts and more to make the occasion extra special. For larger groups you can also rent our entire facility. To begin planning your event, contact a Sales Manager today.
- Q: Why do you use electric karts?
- A: We use electric karts because they provide the best possible karting experience, both on the track and for the environment. Once you try racing in our state-of-the-art F1 inspired karts you will agree. Our karts have more torque, accelerate faster and smoother and offer more consistent performance than gasoline engines. Electric karts are quieter, produce no fumes and do not leak any gas or oil on your clothes.
- Q: What is ProSkill Score?
- A: ProSkill score is a running measurement of your driving ability. For a complete explanation you can read this informative article.